Rosemary & Olive Oil Sourdough Baguette
- Mixing Bowl
- Pre-oiled bowl (to put dough ball in)
- Bench scraper
- Pre-oiled baguette pan
- Clean hand towel
- 1 cup Duffy's Dough Active Starter (See 'How to Prepare Your Starter' if you have not done so already)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Egg (optional)
- 3 tbsp Butter (margarine, yogurt, or non-dairy substitute)
- 3 cup Flour
- 1 packet Commercial yeast (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- ½ cup Fresh chopped rosemary
- ¾ cup Kalamata olives
- REFER TO 'HOW TO PREPARE & SAVE STARTER' TO BEGIN RECIPE.
OPTIONAL: Prepare the Yeast
- Place packet of yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, stir slightly and let sit for 10 minutes. **Adding yeast is optional. It will help the dough to rise faster and does not change the flavor.**
Mix It Up!
- In a large mixing bowl, add egg, salt, sugar, Duffy's Dough starter, and tepid melted buttered and olive oil. Mix well.
- Optional: Add yeast water and mix again.
- Once mixed, begin adding flour 1/2 at a time. Keep stirring until it thickens into a ball. **You may find you will not need the full 3 cups**
Knead, Knead, Knead!
- Sprinkle ample flour on your kneading surface (at least 18 inch square)
- Roll the ball onto the surface and begin kneading. Continue adding flour to the surface until the dough absorbs it and becomes harder.
Time To Wait...
- Put the dough ball, round side down, in a pre-oiled bowl, then flip it upright again to coat it.
- Cover it and place it in a resting spot at room temperature and wait 2-4 hours (until the dough has about doubled in size).
After 2-4 Hours...
- Remove the risen dough ball from its bowl and place it on your lightly floured surface.
- Punch down dough and flatten it.
- Spread the garlic paste over the entire surface. Then add rosemary and olives.
- Roll the flatten dough ball into a log shape, fold the ends in and knead the new ball for a few minutes to spread out the newly added ingredients.
- Use the scraper to divide the ball in half. Roll each half into a log shape - roughly the length of the baguette pan.
- Place logs in the pan and cover with a clean towel. Let rise for 2 hours.
Almost Time! Preheat Oven To [wprm-temperature value="375" unit="F"]
- Once preheated, remove the towel and place the risen baguettes in the oven.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes - until they are a pale golden brown on top.
- Let sit for a few minutes. Serve them fresh or store and eat later.
REFER TO 'HOW TO PREPARE & SAVE STARTER' TO BEGIN RECIPE.